Monday 22 November 2010

Retro Games

We have been looking at pre-1985 'retro' games and trying to decide which one to base an essay on.

It did take me quite a while to decide which to choose as each of my favorites,space invaders, snake, asteroids, pacman, all showed key features of the mechanics and tools I have been learning about to design games.

I have decided to do Asteroids as I feel I could write the most about it and it is, to me, the most unique but that could just be because of borrowed and improved mechanics from other games
As well as looking at it as either paidea or ludus I am trying to break it down with my ever building vocabulary, movement impetus, tension, threat, tempo, intention, perceivable consequence, story, interface, rules, goals, entities, entity manipulation.

I feel this will be really fun and rewarding but at the moment seems quite daunting but I have already started a bit of it and is going smoothly so far.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, loved asteriods, it was really interesting with its wrap around feature. when you have completed a bit, feel free to either upload it or email and i can give you a bit of feedback.

    rob

    ReplyDelete