Thursday 5 May 2011

Game Sound

I learnt a lot from the Lessons about sound by Matt Applegate.
At first it was about how some people use sound to reference things, even make you feel how they want you to.
 Even the use of very peaceful and calm music whilst watching a horrific scene can make it scarier than any other sounds or music as it slightly confuses you brain and makes you feel uneasy and vulnerable.

Later we went and recorded Foley sounds for our games, Foley is where you make sounds and record them to use in a film or game, as games don't have any natural noises like when someone shoots a gun in a game, the digitally created model doesn't produce any sounds, its down to Foley artists to either record the sound of the real thing happening or create the sound by any means.

we, for example, used the sound of two ceramic tiles sliding over each other to create the sound of great stone blocks turning, after editing of course.

We learnt the idea of using tones to portray scale, smaller things should be high pitch and larger things lower tones. Lowering the tones and slowing down the sounds of the sliding tiles did help make it sound like rock blocks turning on the spot for our group game.

While learning how to use Audacity (a free audio editing software) i remembered a hobby i had given up on for quite a while, making experimentative electronic music.
Usually I used a basic sample compiling program the structure when sounds are produced and record some of my own noises from instruments but with audacity and the high quality record of Matt's we could do anything.
There was a brilliant recording of a can falling down through a vending machine and as it hit the bottom there was a hit and then the little plastic cover swung back into place this sounded to me like a perfect drum beat a kick drum then high hat. With some other added sounds i had made a new song and uploaded it on the internet to share with friends within an hour, I liked the noise produced by putting a plastic cup in between the parts of a slinky and the roping the lower half to fall to the floor, incredibly it makes the sound of the laser guns from Star Wars and once they were edited they fit very well into the song.

I like the idea of Foley and in practise I was surprisingly good at it, I will be making all my own sounds for my games and animations in future and when I get a high quality recorder my music will have a drastic change in the sounds I will be recording and editing to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment